As pet owners, we all want to give our furry friends the absolute best in terms of care and comfort. That’s why, in recent years, so many people have turned to CBD pet products. Just as the use of CBD—a non-psychoactive cannabinoid derived from the cannabis plant—has become popular for its potential therapeutic effects in humans, so too has it emerged as a promising option for enhancing the health and well-being of our pets.
In this article, we’ll be delving deep into the potential benefits of using a CBD pet tincture or edible for your pet, while also exploring the emerging science behind the interaction between CBD and animal physiology. Finally, for those ready to take an all-natural approach toward promoting the health and happiness of their four-legged friends, we’ll highlight some different CBD options to consider purchasing for your dog, cat, or any other mammalian pet you might own!
Understanding How a CBD Pet Tincture Works
Cannabidiol, more commonly called CBD, is one of over a hundred naturally occurring compounds found in the cannabis plant. Unlike its cousin, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD does not possess the psychoactive properties to induce a “high” effect, and in fact, many find it has the exact opposite effect altogether.
In terms of its interaction with the body, CBD and related compounds found in the cannabis plant are the only compounds in the natural world that work with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS), an intricate network of receptors, enzymes, and endocannabinoids that are responsible for maintaining balance within nearly every system of the body, including cardiovascular, nervous, immune and digestive systems. The endocannabinoid system—found in all mammals, including dogs, horses, and cats—also plays a key role in cognitive and memory function, as well as in the body’s anti-inflammatory efforts.
The symbiotic relationship between CBD and the receptors in the ECS is one of the main reasons that many scientists now believe that CBD can be a potentially effective treatment for a number of ailments in both humans and pets alike!
Examining the Potential Benefits of CBD Products for Pets
CBD engages with our pets’ endocannabinoid system in much the same way as it does ours, helping to maintain balance in various systems, including nervous, immune, and digestive. While research is still evolving in terms of how CBD may be used to treat specific conditions, early findings suggest that when it comes to our pets, CBD is a safe, all-natural option that may offer a number of potential benefits, including:
- Pain Management – Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, CBD has shown promise in helping to manage pain and discomfort in pets, particularly in dogs suffering from chronic inflammation in their joints, potentially enhancing their quality of life.
- Anxiety and Stress Relief – Nearly every pet owner has experienced an anxious or stressed-out pet, whether it be due to separation, thunderstorms, travel, or houseguests. Studies have shown that when taken in conjunction with regular exercise, stimulation, and a healthy and nutritious diet, CBD pet products may relieve symptoms of anxiety by interacting with the body’s ECS to stimulate the production of serotonin, a key stabilizer of mood and anxiety response.
- Improved Sleep – Pets benefit from restful sleep just as much as their owners do. If your dog or cat is having trouble falling or staying asleep, CBD oil—which has been shown to potentially help regulate sleep patterns by regulating serotonin and relaxing the body—could be a great all-natural to consider.
- Epilepsy and Seizure Management – Cannabidiol is a known anticonvulsant, and recent clinical trials have shown that CBD oil, when used as a complementary treatment, can help reduce the frequency of seizures in epileptic dogs, while anecdotal reports indicate it may also help decrease the severity of seizures.
- Appetite Stimulant – Among the many potential benefits of CBD, its ability to help regulate nausea and vomiting, thereby stimulating appetite, is one of the best studied. CBD tinctures or edibles that are also packed with vitamins and nutrients can be particularly beneficial for squeamish pets.
- Skin and Coat Health – Pets with excessive itching issues, hot spots, or other dermatological conditions may benefit greatly from CBD, which can help reduce both skin inflammation and stress, two key contributors in the promotion of skin and coat health in our four-legged furry friends.
Where to Buy CBD Oil for Dogs, Cats and Other Pets
As promising as much of the early science, studies, and anecdotal evidence appear to be, it’s important to keep in mind that the potential benefits of CBD for pets are still not fully known or understood. That said, there are a number of great online CBD retailers, such as My Health Etc., that offer a wide selection of high-quality, all-natural pet CBD products that may potentially alleviate certain health issues.
For instance, the Edibites Digestive Sweet Potato Pie Soft Chew from Releaf is formulated to promote a healthy digestive tract, improve gut health, and help with the occasional upset stomach, while the Pet Releaf Hip & Joint Peanut Butter Banana Soft Chew is great for older, arthritic dogs.
Whatever your pet’s health issue may be, browse through our selection of pet CBD products or reach out to our knowledgeable staff to find the right CBD tincture or edible for your pet today!